②（the inside address）
⑤（the complimentary close）
I am writing to share with you my opinion about it.
It’s quite natural/understandable for you to do…, however,…u
From my point of view, you should never go to extremes.
I hope my advice can be of some help to you.
I wonder if you can take my suggestions into consideration.
I am looking forward to your good news.
June 8, 2012
Dear Xu Haiqing,
You said in your letter that many of your classmates were wearing fashionable clothes, but you couldn’t afford to buy the best brands. So you felt very depressed. There are different views on people’s wear. The following are my ideas about it.
Firstly, you shouldn’t put too much emphasis on physical appearance. You must always remember the most important task for you today is to concentrate your attention on your studies. No matter what you wear, you will really look your best when you come out first in your examinations.
A famous saying goes, “Frugality is the mother of virtue.” So, secondly, you must understand that it is a fine virtue to learn live in frugality. Since your family is not able to provide you with enough money to buy clothes of the best brands, it is all the more necessary for you to try every means to lighten the financial burden of your family. You will find the virtue of frugality will benefit you a lot in your later life.
I hope you understand what I mean. I am sure you will take a positive attitude towards life and will be happy again when you read my letter. (205 words)
I am extremely pleased to hear from you./ to see your advertisement for the position in ....
I would like to write a letter to tell you that...
I am confident that I am suitable for the kind of the job you are advertising…...
I feel I am competent to meet the requirements you have listed. On the one hand, .... On the other hand, .... I am enclosing my resume for your kind consideration and reference.
I shall be much obliged if you will offer me a precious opportunity to an interview.
I will greatly appreciate a response from you at your earliest convenience
I am looking forward to your replies at your earliest convenience.
Best regards for your health and success.
3． 生词：申请—apply (v.),application(n.)
Dear Sir / Madam:
My name is Lihua .I would like to work as a volunteer for the Winter Asian Games.
Dear Sir or Madam,
My name is Lihua. I would like to work as a volunteer for the Winter Asian Games.
I am an 18 girl. As a local people, I know the roads and Buildings very clear. I like sports very much. By several years training, I am almost good at every sports.
Now I am a student. In school, my English is good, I am also a Kind girl. When I know someone is in difficulty, I will give him or her to defeat it.
The Games will be held in the city where I am live. I would like to a volunteer, if the dream comes true, I will try my best to improve the level of my service.
As a volunteer is my gloary. I wish I can become one.
Best wishes for you.
Dear Sir or Madam,
My name is Lihua. I would like to work as a volunteer for the Winter Asian Games.
I am a 17 years old girl. And I am a senior 2 students in NO.1 Senior School of ╳╳. My English is good and I am good at PE.I like to do things for others. Because I think helping others is helping myself. When someone has difficult in doing things, I am always ready to help him. And I like to communication is the bridge of the world. Because the world is a big family.
I hear that the Games will be held in this place where I lives. I hope to be a volunteer. Because by this, I can lean about the world and take exercise. I can provide the best service for the Games. I know the situation here. I believe I can do well.
Dear Sir or Madam,
My name is Lihua. I would like to work as a volunteer for the Winter Asian Games. I am a brave boy of 16 years old. I can speak English fluently. Besides, I do well in getting on well(用词重复) with other students. I am glad to help others. I know all interesting places here.
If I become a member of volunteers, I will try my best to introduce my hometown to visitors. I will take them to taste all kinds of food and let them know our Chinese culture. I am sure that none of them would leave feeling disappointed. （这部分不错）On the other hand, I wish the Games had a happy end.
I apply for being a volunteer, I hope you can allow me to be a volunteer. I will do well in it and it and try my best to work. Thank you.
Dear Sir or Madam,
My name is Lihua,I would like to work as a volunteer for the Winter Acian Games.
I am a warm-hearted boy of 17, who is still studying in Middle School. I want to be a member of them.
English is what I am good at, as well as sports. I have no difficulty in communicating with foreigner, because I can speak English fluently and do well in communication. It is my duty to help others and as a local one, I know quite well about our district.
If I am a volunteer, I will try my best to serve others. For me, a volunteer is not only a glorious job, but a good way to get close to sports. If I can be one of the members, I will be very happy and honorable.
Please accept my application for being a volunteer, and I have been ready to make contribution to the Games.
My name is Li Hua. I would like to work as a volunteer for the Winter Asian Games. I’m a boy of 17 years old and right now I’m studying in the ╳╳ No. 2 Senior High School.
There are several reasons why I want to apply. First of all, I take great interest in sports and do well in English, especially spoken English. This can help me communicate with foreigners smoothly. Secondly, I’m very familiar with our city. And it’s quite easy for me to show the way to strangers. Most important of all, I like to make friends with people and try my best to help them.
If I can become a volunteer, I promise that I’ll provide the best service with foreign guests. And I will do a good job.(116词)
It is said that a summer camp is to be held by your school and a few courses are available to choose from. I am interested in gardening, in that I believe it features my character and personal benefits.
During the learning period, I expect to gain some unexpected knowledge. A radical technique I’d like to obtain is to know how to tell difference species of plants and flowers apart. This helps me to have a clearer outlook of those in my garden. Furthermore, the proper cutting time and frequency to water are some other skills I want to learn. A little knowledge concerning choosing suitable soil or reasonable positions will also be a good choice.
The main reason why I choose gardening is that I want to help my parents with their work in the domestic garden. In addition, I find that we students generally lack the knowledge of gardening, missing a chance to have a word with nature, so that knowing the surroundings is imperative. Last but not least, by attending the courses, I will have a meaningful summer vacation, and drowning myself between plants will by all means add a brilliant touch to my life.
Best wishes. I hope to receive your reply at your convenience.
1.自我简介 2. 写信目的 3.话题：我们应该感恩（ thankful）4. 推荐的理由 5. 预祝活动成功
Good afternoon, Ladies and gentlemen.
Welcome to…. Now let me introduce…to you.
I hope my introduction can give you a general idea about …and wish you a good trip in….
That’s all. Thank you.
词组有：ladies and gentleman, a new modern city, set up, the early 1980's,
by air, by sea, by land, another freeway, be used, connect with, be rich in, natural resources, energy resources,
support foreign visitors.
Ladies and Gentleman,
Welcome to our city. Now let me introduce our city to you. Our city is a new modern city. It was set up in the early 1980's, but it has been developing rapidly. From here you can travel to anywhere by sea, by air or by land. Recently another freeway connected with Beijing has started being used. The places around our city are rich in natural resources. And we have enough supply of electricity and energy resources. The public equipment is very nice.
Besides the government of our country and our city support foreign investors in many ways. We except more and more foreign friends to invest in our city.
That’s all. Thank you. 117’
Good afternoon, ladies and gentlemen.
Good afternoon, ladies and gentlemen.
Welcome to Shanghai. I am your receptionist. Now I would like to give a brief introduction about it.
Shanghai is the biggest city in China with a population of 16 million. It is located on the coast of the East Sea. The Huangpu River runs from north to south through the city, across which are Nanpu Bridge, Xvpu Bridge, Lupu Bridge and Yangpu Bridge. It has highly developed transport network, including highway, railway, waterway and airway. It is quite easy for people at home and abroad to travel to Shanghai.
The economy of Shanghai has been increasing at an amazing speed since our country’s open and reform policy was carried out, which attracts more and more overseas entrepreneurs to invest here. Meanwhile, the Shanghai government has been trying its best to improve its investment environment and offer a favorable policy to foreign entrepreneurs.
Shanghai is also a cultural city with a long history. There are many places of interest, such as Longhua Temple, Yu Garden Jade Buddha Temple and also many tourist destinations, such as the Bund, the Oriental Pearl TV Tower, and People’s Square, etc,.
I hope my introduction can give you a general idea about Shanghai and wish you a good trip in Shanghai.
That’s all. Thank you. 210’
Good morning, ladies and gentleman.
Some of us are having problems with our parents, as they often look into our school bags or read our diaries.
One possible version
Good morning, ladies and gentlemen.
Some of us are having problem with our parents, as they often look into our school bags or read our diaries. I fully understand why we are not comfortable about it, but there’s no need to feel too sad. Our parents are checking our bags or diaries to make sure we’re not getting into any trouble. They have probably heard some horrible stories about other kids and thought we might do the same. Or perhaps they just want to connect with us but are doing it all wrong. My suggestion is: Tell them we want them to trust us as much as we’d like to trust them. If you don’t think you can talk to them, write them a letter and leave it lying around ---- they are bound to read it.
Jiangsu Normal College
Wuxi , Jiangsu
P . R . C.
June 24 , 2003
English Lauguage Service, INC.
Cpllier Macmillan Iternational , INC.
866 Third Avenue,
New York, NY 10022
We understand that your company has published a new English Lauguage series—English 900, aimed for oral practice of English language by non-native speakers of English. We would very much appreciate it if you can send us a copy and supply us with some information on price at the above address.
xx xx xx
Dean of the English Department
Jiangsu Normal College
x x x
1. I feel very worried as I have not heard from you for a long time.好久没有你的消息了，我很着急
2. It is my honor to receive your kind letter. 收到你的来信，我很荣幸。
3. I have the pleasure to inform you that . . . 我很高兴地通知您······
4. Your letter was duly arrived. 我如期收到了你的来信。
1. With kind regards to you and your family. 向你以及你的家人致意/问好
2. Thank you very much for your kind favor. 非常感谢你的帮忙。
3. Pleasure give my compliments to John. 请向约翰表达我对他的致意
4. Your suport is sincerely valuued. 您的支持十分宝贵。
5. Looking forward to your promt reply. 期待你早日回复、回信。
电子邮件写作一般包括：发件人（Fron）、收信人（To）、抄送（Cc）、暗送（Blind Cc）、主题（Subject）、和正文（Text）等几个部分。其中，抄送（Cc）是指在Cc一栏中输入其他人的电子邮件地址就可以将一封同时发给多人。暗送（Blind Cc）是指各收件人无法看到同样的信件都给了何人，从而有效地保护了写信人的隐私。主题（Subject）部分便于读信人即刻了解所收信件的内容。因此，主题部分要简介、明了。电子邮件的正文部分也是由称谓、正文和落款署名三个部分。正文部分一般使用非正式的文体，如果正文太长，则可以用附件的方式发送。
如若对方知道自己的住址和电话号码资料，可用简单署名，如William；或“全名+电子邮件地址”，如William Tang 〈wtang @yahoo.com〉。用于正式的私人信件或商业信函时，除注明“全名+电子邮件地址”外，还应包括“职务、公司名称、地址、联系方式”等内容。
From：William Tang〈wtang @citiz.net〉
R U busy lately? Haven’t seem U for a long tome.
Take good care of Ur-self, especially at the time of SARS. Remember, the new definition of SARS is “Smile And Remain Smile”. Don’t be defeated by it.
发件人：William Tang〈wtang @citiz.net〉
电子邮件常用缩写语（Common Acronyms ine-mails）
AFAIK (As far as I know) 据我说知
ASAP (as soon as possible) 尽快
BTW (by the way) 顺便问一下
BFN (bye for now) 再见
CU (see you ) 再会
CUL （see you latter） 再联系
FAQfrequent asked question) 常见的问题
FYI(for your information) 供您参考
GA(go ahead) 一直往前
HTH (hope this help) 希望这能帮上忙
IMO (in my opinion) 依我看来
IOW (in other word) 换句话说
JAM (just a moment) 等会儿
O (ocer) 完毕
OTOH (on the other hand) 另一方面
POC (piece of cake ) 小菜一碟
POV (point of view) 观点，看法
TKS ;TNX (thanks) 谢谢
WRT (with regards to ) 关于。。。。。。
三、投诉信 （Letter Making a Complant）
25 Feb, . 2006
In the spring of 2005 I bought a Jones Tyoewriter, Portable Special Model, nat ABC Store in Jonesville. I had used it only a few days when the space bar broke.
We took it to a local repair shop , they told us that it was a factory defect and suggested that we take it back to ABC. We waited three months, and they let us have the space bar from another typewriter.
Now, six mouths later, it has broken again . As we find the guarantee is still good, we write you for further instructions as to what steps to take.
Iwill appreciate anything you can do to help us on this matter.
2006年 2 月 25 日
15 May ,2006
When I bought the motor –cycle from the Anderson DepartmentStore, Main Street, Jonesville, in March of this year, I was told that this was the latest model on the market, and that parts would be easy to obtian.
As you will note, there is a box along with this letter. Inside the box is the broken part, which is the cause of all the trouble . After havinng talked to some repair shops in my city, I am furious at being told : “The company doesn’t have replacement parts,” and “It shouldn’t be on the market.”
I am asking that you either replace the enclosed part, or send me a replacement for that broken one.
Mary Jones Warner
2006年 5 月 15 号
参考用语 （Reference Expressions）
⒈ On … (date) I bought from… (place ) an instant heater manufantured by your renowned concern. ……(日期)我在……（某地）买了一台由贵厂生产的热水器。
⒉ I was shocked to find the instant heater purchased on ... ( date) at ...(place )by us did not function well. 我们惊讶地发现，我们······（日期）在······（某地）购买的热水器不太好使用。
⒊ Your supermarket failed to deliver the furniture I ordered on May 5.
⒋ I am sorry to point out the defect in the oven ...
⒌ The company changed some parts frome other manufacturer, but they did not work. Then I write you for further help.这家公司给我们换上了别的厂家的零件，可还没用。我只得给你们写信请求帮助。
⒍ The purpose of this letter is ask your permiddion to send you the bicycle for welding.我写信的目的是征求你的同意，我们想把自行车送回贵厂焊接。
⒎ I will appreciate anything you can do to help us on this matter.
⒏ I am aware of your reputation for quality products plus reliability; consequently I do not hesitate to write to you.我知道贵公司的产品优良可靠，远近驰名。因此我毫不迟疑，写上此信。
⒐ Permit me to thank you for your prompt and considerate reply.首先多谢您那封又快又周到的回信。
⒑ I expect the courtesy of a prompt reompt reply from you , and the necessary inspections and corrections from qualified personnel.盼望你们马上答复，并派遣合格的人员来作出必要的检查与改正。
四、感谢信（Letter Expressing Gratitude）
Dear Mr. King
I am writing on behalf of all members our department to say how much we all enjoyed your excellent lecture on Monday. We have learned a lot about the changes in present-day English and are very grateful to you for coming to our university and giving us such an interesting and informative talk.
Thank you very much and we look forward to hearing you again.
I am fascinated with my jewel box— it is so unusual. You are really bright enough at finding what no one else can, and what everyone wants. I don't know how you could make it!
Again, thanks so much.
参考用语 (Reference Expressions)
1. I hereby express my heartfelt thanks to …for…现为……向某人表示衷心的感谢。
2. Accept my sincere thanks for the trouble you have taken. 麻烦之处，当表感谢。
3. Thank you for doing me a real favor. 感谢你对我的帮忙。
4. Thank you again for your wonderful hospitality.再次感谢你的盛情款待。
5. I greatly acknowledge the help and encouragement given by my colleagues.我非常感谢同事们的帮助与鼓励。
6. Please convey my gratitude to your parents. 请转达我对你父母的谢意。
7. It is exactly that I most wanted. 它正合我心意。
8. Thank you more than I can say.不胜感谢。
9. Thank you ever so much for your warm compliments. 非常感谢你温馨的贺卡。
10. Our lovely charismas card was most welcome. 非常喜欢你那可爱的圣诞贺卡。
五、祝贺信 (letter of Congratulations)
Your Excellency Mr. Ambassador,
On the occasion of New Year, may my wife and I extend to you and your wife our sincere greetings, wishing you a happy new year, your career success and your family happiness.
Minister of Foreign Affairs
We were so delighted to hear the news of Jonathan junior’s birth. Congratulations to all three of you!
May I come to see you and the baby the first time that I am in town? I’ll call and let you know when that will be.
参考用语 (Reference Expressions)
1. On the occasion of …, I wish to extend to you our warm congratulation on behalf of … and in my own name. 值此……之际，我代表……，并以我个人的名义，向你致以热烈祝贺。
2. It’s wonderful to know that you have achieved the goal you set for yourself. 我得知你实现了预定的目的极为高兴。
3. We take this opportunity to with you and Mr. (Miss)… happiness on your recent marriage. 借此机会对你和……的新婚表示祝福。
4. Presenting the compliments of the season.致以节日的问候。
5. It is really a splendid achievement and we are all proud of you. 你取得的辉煌的成就，我们都为你感到骄傲。
6. This brings our best wishes and warmest congratulations. 顺致我们美好的祝愿和热烈的祝贺。
7. We are vey happy to learn that you have successfully passed the college entrance examination this year.我们非常高兴地得知，你今年高考旗开得胜。
8. We send you good wishes for all possible happiness.我们衷心的祝福你们幸福美满。
9. On behalf of the government and people of … (country) I wish to extent to you our warm congratulations and good wishes on…我仅代表……政府和人民对……致以热烈祝贺和良好的祝愿。
10. It is a well-deserved recognition of your hard work.这是你勤奋努力的应有回报。
六、推荐信 (Letter of Recommendation)
Dear Professor Gibert,
Please allow me to introduce my friend, Zhao Wen, to you. He is applying for admission to your university now and I believe he will achieve a lot if he is accepted by your department.
Mr. Zhao is good at English and he has passed an English Proficiency Test (EPT) given by the State Education Commission, which means he is entitled to the financial support of the government to study aboard. He is a reliable, diligent and smart young man.
Thank you very much for your consideration. My friend and I look forward to hearing from you soon.
Wu Xian Trading Co. Ltd
300 Shuidian RD.
18 Feb., 2006
This is to inform you that we have done business with King Tie Trading Company for more than five years. We are pleased to report that all business has been conducted well and satisfactorily.
The company has been most helpful in providing information and services about both
domestic and overseas market. We have found that the company has a broad range of information on animal by-products.
If you need further information, please write or phone.
参考用语 (Reference Expressions)
1. He has some capacity to do search work and shows much promise as a college teacher.
2. Please allow me to recommend …to you.
3. We have been working together for quiet some time, and I found it pleasant to work with him.
4. Although his stay with us was brief, we were pleased with his performance.
5. His working abilities and administrative skills were excellent.
6. She acted responsibly and conscientiously at all time.
7. She is conscientious, efficient, well –organized, bright, and tactful with all the people here.
8. I make no hesitation in recommending him; you will find him a big help.
9. He always proves himself hard-working and modest.
10. If you wish further information, please contact us.
Directions: This part is to test your ability to do practical writing. You are required to write a Letter of Inquiry(询价信) according to the following information. You should not translate the Chinese into English word for word. You should write more than 80 words on the Composition sheet.
Dear Sir or Madam,
We have seen the advertisement of your bicycles on television, and we are very interested in your machines for both men and women, and also for children. Will you please send us a copy of your catalogue and current price-list for bicycles?
We are the leading bicycle dealer(经销商) in this city, where cycling is popular, and have branches in five neighboring districts. If the quality of your machines is satisfactory and the prices are reasonable, we will place regular order for fairly large numbers.
We look forward to your early reply.
1． We have seen your advertisement in a trade journal that…我们在一商业刊物上看到贵公司的广告…
2． We have heard of your products.我们听说过贵公司的产品.
3． We are interested in your products which we saw in recent elections show held in London.我们在伦敦最近举办的电子产品展览会参观时,对贵方产品很感兴趣.
4． Your newly developed products displayed at the Sydney Trade Fair has interested us.本公司对贵方在悉尼商品交易会上展出的新近研制的产品感兴趣.
1. We should be pleased to receive your catalogue and price-list.我们将很高兴收到贵公司的商品目录和价格表.
2. We take great interest in your products and wish to have quotations for the items specified below.我们对贵公司产品感兴趣,并希望得到以下产品的报价.
3. Would you please send us catalogue, price-list, together with the samples of your products?您能惠寄贵公司产品的目录、格表表和样品吗？
4. We would ask you to let us have a quotation for…我们想请贵公司寄一份…的报价单.
5. Please quote your latest prices for the items listed below.请将下列商品的最新价报到我方.
6. Please kindly quote us your lowest prices for vacuum cleaners.请告知吸尘器的最低报价.
7. We should be very grateful if you would let us have full details of…倘若提供优质服务的所有详情,我们将不胜感激.
8. Would you be kind enough to send us the following information as soon as possible?请尽快告知下列情况.
1. If your equipment is of good q1ualitiy, and we receive a favorable offer, we may be able to place large order with you.如果贵公司设备质量好、价格优惠，我方将向贵公司大量定货。
2. If your prices are competitive, we can probably let you have regular orders.如果贵公司价格有竞争力，我方也许会经常向贵公司定购。
Directions: This part is to test your ability to do practical writing. You are required to write a Letter of Apology according to the following information.
We have received your letter of May 6 complaining our delay of shipment, and we are sorry that we have not been able to deliver your order on time. The delay was caused by the late arrival of some of the raw materials.
We are making our efforts to complete your shipment within a week, and we ensue that such a delay is not to occur again. Please accept our sincere apologies to you for the delay and the inconvenience it has caused you.
1．I must apologize to you for…我必须向你道歉，因为…
2. I regret to tell you that…我很抱歉的告诉你…
3. I write to express my deep regret.我写此信向你表示深深的歉意.
4. I’m writing to you to ask you to excuse me for…我写此信请求你原谅我…
5. I’m very/terribly sorry to tell you that…很/非常抱歉的告诉你…
6. Please accept my sincere apology.请接受我诚挚的歉意.
7. I hope you will accept my apology.希望您能接受我们的道歉.
Directions: This part is to test your ability to do practical writing. You are required to write a Letter according to the following information. You should not translate the Chinese into English word for word. You should write more than 80 words on the Composition sheet.
内容: 某公司的秘书欲向一家宾馆预订一个带浴室的双人间和一个带淋浴的单人房间,时间从7月27日至7月31日.另外, 预订3张8月1日星期六上午10点40分由伦敦飞往纽约的飞机票.
写信人和地址: John Smith, 919 West 49th Street, Middletown, Ohio, 45042, USA.
收信人和地址: Manager of Seascape Hotel, Marine Parade, Brighton, Susex, England.
919 West 49th Street
Middletown, Ohio, 45042
July 25th, 2004
Our corporation has arranged for a display at the forthcomingWorld
Trade Fair held in London on July 28th, 2004, so we’d like to book two
rooms at your hotel for four nights from July 27th to July 31st. Have you
got a double room with a bath and a single room with shower?
In addition, please kindly reserve us three seats in the plane leaving
London for New York at 10:40 a.m. on Saturday, August 1st.
Hoping to have an early reply.
1. I’m writing to make reservation of…今写此信预定…
2. Please kindly reserve me two seats in…请代留…座位两个
3. Could you please make reservation in…for me?请你们为我…行吗?
4. Kindly reserve me two seats in the express, leaving Shanghai for Beijing at 2:30 p.m. the day after tomorrow?请为我预订两张由上海到北京的特快火车票,时间为后天下午2点30分.
5. Will you please reserve/book a second-class cabin on the… leaving Dalian for Shanghai?可否为我在大连开往上海方向的…号客轮上订一个二等舱位?
6. I shall thank you if you will reserve me a single room with bath in your hotel for eight nights from July 1st till July 9th. I prefer a room with a view of the sea if possible.麻烦您替我订一个带浴室的单人房间, 时间从7月1日至9日.如果可能, 窗户最好面临大海.
7. I’ll be obliged if you will reserve… for me. 倘能为我预订…, 我将不胜感激.
Directions: This part is to test your ability to do practical writing. You are required to write a Letter of Certification (证明信)according to the following information. You should not translate the Chinese into English word for word. You should write more than 80 words on the Composition sheet.
证明人: Heidi 吉林大学数学系教授
被证明人: 李微 Heidi教授从前的学生,现在的下属
To Whom It May Concern:
This is to certify that Mr. Li Wei, one of my former students, had studied Mathematics in the Math Department of Ji Lin University for 4 years. His academic record was constantly maintained at the top level. He got excellent scores in all the subjects. In addition, he was on good terms with his classmates. After graduation, he has been engaged in our university as a teaching assistant for 3 years. Being physically and mentally healthy, Mr. Li has faithfully attended to his duties and has proved himself to be industrious and thoroughly reliable.
Professor of Math Department
Ji Lin University
1. To Whom It May Concern(致有关人士)为通用证明信的称呼语.
2. This is to certify that…兹证明…
3. I have the pleasure in certifying that…我乐于证明…
4. It is my pleasure to certify that…我乐于证明…
5. I hereby certify that…我证明…
6. Let it be known that…兹证明…
7. It is my pleasure to give evidence that…我很高兴的向你们证明
Directions: This part is to test your ability to do practical writing. You are required to write a letter of establishing business relations according to the following information. You should not translate the Chinese into English word for word. You should write no less than 80 words on the Composition sheet.
写信人姓名及地址: Wang Zhigang, Nanhai Textiles Impot & Export Corporation, No 32 Fuxing Road, Beijing, P.R. China
收信人姓名及地址: The Manager of Chicago Clothes Inc., 1578 Mortaon Ave., Chicago 27, III., USA
Nanhai Textiles Impot & Export Corporation
No 32 Fuxing Road
March 21st， 2004
Chicago Clothes Inc.
1578 Mortaon Ave.
Chicago 27, III.
Dear Sir or Madam，
You were recommended to us by the Bank of China， New York
Branch， which told us that you import Chinese textiles.
Our company exports Chinese textiles. They are of good quality
and the price is favorable. Chinese textiles are very popular in Europe and Australia. We would like to work with you to market them in North American.
We are sending you under separate cover by airmail a copy of the
latest catalogue. Please inform us if there are any items which interest you and we will send you quotes and samples.
1. We have got your name and address from… and know that you deal in computers.我们从…得到贵公司行名,得知贵方经营计算机.
2. We write to introduce ourselves as one of the leading exporters of various kinds of ventilators and air-conditioners.兹自我介绍本公司为各种换气扇和空调的主要出口商.
3. We are willing to enter into business relations with your firm on the basis of equality and mutual benefit.我们愿在平等互利的基础上与你方建立业务关系.
4. Specializing in the export of Chinese foodstuffs, we wish to express our desire to trade with you in this line. 本公司专门经营中国食品的出口业务,兹特向贵方表示愿在这方面与贵公司做贸易.
启示的格式（The structure of a notice）除了具备海报所含的三部分（标题，正文，署名）外，通常还需要加上联系地址和电话号码等。
启示的标题（Subject Line）要求醒目，能够真正吸引读者的注意力。启示标题一般分为两种：即，直接标题，如遗失启示（Lost），招领启示（失物招领）（Found）等：间接标题，就是启示撰写者根据启示的基本内容自己订标题。例如：DO YOU KNOW THIS SECRET?
署名（signature）是指一个启示的最后落款。署名格式同海报的落款格式。启示的正文之后，或者在署名的下方注明联系地址（Address to Contact），联系人或联系电话，以便于有意者对启示中声明的事予以及时的联系。
I was careless and lost a copy a Chinese Dictionary when studying in the reading room of the library yesterday afternoon. I will appreciate it very much if the finder sends it to the office of the Physics Department or ring me to fetch it back.
Address: Room201, Building 2
1.I was careless and lost…
2. It contains …
3. I will appreciate it very much if the finder sends it to the office … or ring me to fetch it back.
4. will the finder please send it to … Thanks a lot.
I happen to find a bag which contains a wallet, two English novels and one maths textbook at the Dining-roomNo.1.Loser is expected to come to my dormitory to claim it.
Address: Room307,Building 2
1. I happened to find ….which contains … at the Dining Room No.1.
2. Loser is expected to come to … to claim it.
3. Anyone who lost…at Room 203 is expected to come to … to claim it.
Owing to the speeding expansion of our business, we find it necessary to remove to more spacious premise. We beg to inform our customers that after National Day , we shall be at 24 Sichuan Road. You are warmly welcome to our new address.
Spring Travel Agency
1. Owing to…, we find it necessary to remove to…
2. You are warmly welcome to our new address.
3. We beg to inform … that after next month , we shall be at …
To warmly celebrate the fifty anniversary of the founding of the People’s Republic of China, we have decided to publish a special issue emphasizing reports on our great achievements in our modernization and construction on the brilliant prospect for the open policy of our country. All are welcome to send in their contributions in whatever form or style before the 25th of September.
The Editorial Department of “Readers”
1. To warmly celebrate…, we have decided to…
2. In celebration of …, we decided to…
3. This magazine has decided to publish a special issue with emphasis on…
4. All are welcome to send in their contributions in whatever form or style.
5. we have decided to publish a special issue with the topic…
The third of the first paragraph of column three on page four of the June issue of our magazine should read “the Clinton Administration”.
1. The fifth line of the fourth paragraph of on page ten of the October issue of our magazine should read “:We should do everything possible to help them”.
3. Because of an editing error, an article on Sunday about …, misstated…
海报是人们日常生活中最为常见的一种张贴形式，用用语电影，戏曲，球赛，文艺演出等活动。海报中通常写明活动的性质，活动的主办单位i，时间，地点等内容。海报的语言力求简明扼要，形式做到新颖美观。海报的格式，通常有三个部分，即标题，正文，落款。海报的标题是海报 的宣传“窗口”。因此海报的标题撰写尽量做到简介明了，新颖醒目。抓住读者的兴趣和注意力。海报的标题形式通常两种：一是直接使用“海报”（Poster）一词；另一种则是根据海报的内容撰写标题。海报的正文是海报的核心部分，它是对海报标题的具体描写。语言要求形象生动，简明扼要。做到既有鼓动性，又不夸大其词。海报的落款写明主办单位 的名称及撰写日期。海报的落款通常写在海报的左下角，日期位于主办单位名称的下方，既可写在左下角，也可写在右下角。
Subject：The Comprehension and Translation of Advertisements
Speaker：Professor John Smith from the Dept. of Foreign Languages, New York State University
Time：At 14：00 Tuesday，Dec.1st, 2005
Place：Room220, Yifu Building
Sensor：The Department of Foreign Language and Literature
An Academic Report
Subject：Contemporary British Literature
Speaker：Professor Sue Hill from Liverpool University, Britain
Time：9:00 a.m., Friday, October. 15, 2005
Place：Room203, Building No.1
Sensor： The Department of Foreign Language and Literature
October 12, 2005
球类比赛（Ball Games Match）
Physics Department Team
English Department Team
Time : 2:00 p.a., Friday, October 12, 2005
Place: On the Basketball Court at the Gymnasium
University Trade Union
October 2, 2005
1. Under the auspices of …
2. All-university Ping-pong Games will be held in the gymnasium at 3:30 p.m.every Tuesday afternoon from… to …
3. All… who are interested warmly welcome.
English Speech Contest
Hosted by the Students Union of English Department, the 3rd English Speech Contest will be held in the Lecture Room of Administrative Building at 7:00 p.m., Tuesday, September 20 ，2005.
All are welcome!
The Students Union
September 19 ，2005
1. Hosted by …, the …Contest will be held in…
2. A … contest will be held next week under the auspices of…
THIS WEEK’S FILM
Name: World War
Time: 7：00p.m., Saturday, May 20
Admission: Three Yuan for each
The Film Club
1.“Sound of Music” , an award-winning American feature film.
2. … will be shown at the …cinema at 7:00 , Saturday, May 17.
3. Fare: Three Yuan for each
4. Admission Free
5. Ticket office :the club
十四、 便条和留言条（Notes and Messages）
称呼比较随便，如：John, Dear Ann, Liu Ying 等。
请病假（Asking for Sick Leave）
I caught a bad cold yesterday and have a fever and headache now. The doctor says I have to stay in bed for a couple of days. So I am writing to ask for sick leave of two days. I shall be very thankful if you grant my request.
请事假（Asking for Business Leave）
I beg to apply for one week’s leave of absence from the 10th to the 16th instant, both days inclusive, in order to return to see my grandma who is now dangerously ill. I’ll be much obliged if you grant my application.
Encl. A telegram from my father
要求续假（Asking for an Extension of Leave）
I am still lying in bed with the bad cold. The doctor was called in this morning and he advised a rest of two more days. Please give me an extension of Leave for as many days.
Encl. Doctor’s Certificate
感谢条（Note of Thanks ）
Thank you very much for the loan of your recording machine, which has been very useful for my oral practice. Now I am returning it to you by the hand of Mary. Please give it a check and see if there is any damage done to it.
转告电话（Transmitting a Telephone Message）
Mr. Johnson of IMBCo. Called to tell you that he will leave for Beijing on business tomorrow. He wishes to put off the appointment he made with you for tomorrow until next week. He will contact you as soon as he is back on weekend.
约会（Notes for Appointments）
Here is a piece of good news for you. There will be a fashion show tomorrow evening at the Exhibition Center. It must be wonderful. If you are interested, please meet me at the school gate at 6p.m. tomorrow.
辞别条（Notes for Saying Good-Bye）
It’s a pity that I didn’t meet you when I called on you in the morning. I have done all my thing hare and I am leaving for home by train at two this afternoon. Thank you for the trouble you have taken for me sake. This is to say good-bye to you .Please kindly remember me to your parents.
1. I beg to apply for one week’s leave of absence from the 10th to the 16th instant, both days inclusive.
2. I’ll be much obliged if you grant my application.
3. I hope my request will be kindly granted/given due consideration.
4.I’ m awfully sorry that I cannot come to office/attending the meeting/ come to school.
5. I caught a bad cold.
6. Please call me as soon as possible.
7. It’s a pity that I didn’t see you when I called on you.
8. Encl. Doctor’s Certificate
9. Please give me an extension of Leave for as many days.
10. Mr. Smith called to tell you that …
Directions: This part is to test your ability to do practical writing. You are required to write a Letter of Invitation according to the following information. You should not translate the Chinese into English word for word. You should write no less than 80 words on the Composition Sheet.
内容：Mary和 Kate 打算周末开车去海滩度假，恰好汽车还有一个空位子，因此想邀请她们的好友Jane 一起去，到时候可以一起进行日光浴或海水浴。她们想知道Jane 是否来，以便安排出发事宜。
We have just decided to spend a holiday on the beach this weekend. As we have a spare seat in the car, we think you may be interested in joining us. We remember you said you were fond of seawater bath though you could not swim. Now here’s the chance. Besides, we’ll do our best to help you learn how to swim. Also, we can take a sunbath together. Please let us know if you would like to go with us and then we’ll arrange when to start.
We’ll be pleased if you say you can come.
Mary and Kate
1. Would you like to come to our dinner party on Saturday evening?
2. Would you care to come to our party?
3. I wonder if you would be able to join us for dinner tomorrow evning.
1. I shall be very glad/pleased if …
2. It would be an honor to me if you would accept our invitation.
3. It would be a great pleasure to me if…
Directions: This part is to test your ability to do practical writing. You are required to write a Letter of Introduction according to the following information. You should not put the Chinese into English word for word. You should write more than 80 words on the Composition Sheet.
The bearer (持信人) of this letter, Tom, is one of my assistants and good friends.
He graduated from QingHua University, majoring in (主修) physics. So far as I know, he was the best student in his class and he did exceedingly well in research work.
Since I have known him for four years, I can truthfully say that he is an intelligent and ambitious young man. I am sure he will become an excellent scientist some day if you do give him good advice and help him in every aspect while he undertakes further studies in Washington D. C.
Your kindness will be warmly appreciated.
1. Allow me to introduce to you my good friend, Mike.
2. I am glad to introduce…to you.
3. I am writing you these few lines to introduce you to…
4. I have the honor to introduce to you my esteemed friend…
1. Your kindness will be warmly appreciated.
2. Any attention you may show him will be greatly acknowledged.
3. Any favor you may show him will be sincerely valued by me.
4. Any courtesy you may show her will be considered a personal favor to me.
Directions: This part is to test your ability to do practical writing. Suppose you have been doing your present work for some time and you are going to apply for a new job. Now fill in the application form with the necessary information. You can make use of the hints given in Chinese. You should write no less than 80 English words on the Composition Sheet.
Family name: _________________ First name: ___________________
Tel. No. : _____________________________________
Date of Birth: ___________Place of Birth: ______________Sex: ____________
Marriage: Married Divorced Single
Educational Records: XX年X月毕业于XX中学。XX年到XX年在XX高等专科学校XX系学习。专业XX；等等。
Employment History: XX年至今年XX公司工作，担任XXX职务。现在希望在贸易方面获得更广泛经验，因此想换一个工作。
Family Name: Wang First Name: Li
Address: 2nd Floor, 16 Xian St, Dalian
Date of Birth: Dalian
Married Divorced Single
1995-1998 Department of Business and Administration, Dalian Commercial Junior College.
1995-1999 Graduated from Dalian High School in July, 1994
1995-2000 Graduate from Dalian No.9 Middle School in July, 1992
Employment History: Xingyi Exporting Company
August 1998-present: 1120 Zhongshan Road, Dalian City.
Secretary to sales manager
Now I apply for a new job. The reason for leaving my present employer is that I am desirous of getting broader experience in trading.
graduated from… specialty (专业) …college in July, 1996.
Directions: This part is to test your ability to do practical writing. You are required to write a Telephone Message according to the following instructions given in Chinese. Remember to write the message in no more than 60 words in the Composition/Translation Sheet.
1. 来电人：霍尼韦尔(Honeywell)公司的Mr. Johnson
3. 事由：Mr. Johnson明天要出差去北京，因此原定与Mr. White后天上午的约会只能取消，等出差回来后再与Mr. White约时间会面。
To Mr. White
Time: 10 a.m. , 25th June, 2002
Message: Mr. Johnson of Honeywell Company will leave for Beijing on business tomorrow. He wishes to cancel his appointment with you on the morning of the 27th. He will contact you for another appointment when hi is back.
Words for reference:
电子部Electronic Device Section; 推荐信reference
I have just seen your advertisement in Beijing Evening News of the 6th August for a salesman in the Electronic Device Section of your company. I’m very interested in the job and I feel I’m qualified to meet the requirements. I’m therefore enclosing a resume together with reference from my supervisor.
As you can see, I once worked in the Electronic Department. So I am familiar with different kinds of electric devices. I have worked more than once as a salesman in some stores during my previous vacations. Besides, I’m very patient and friendly in nature. I’m confident that I shall be suitable for the kind of job.
If you need any further information, I shall be very pleased to supply it. Or I wonder if you will grant me with an interview.
I’m looking forward to hearing from you soon.
1. I wish to apply for the position of cashier advertised in today’s china daily.
2. I am very interested in the position, and I’m trying to apply for it.
3. In reply to your advertisement in today’s…(newpaper) for a …, I hasten to write this letter of application for the post.
4. I believe that my ability and experience will fully qualify me for the position of…
5. I am enclosing my CV/personal history which I believe will show you why I feel I can meet the requirements of a cashier in your company.
6. Have you an opening in your company for a young man who believes that he has something to offer?
7. I should be grateful/much obliged if you could gave me an opportunity to try to serve you in the position.
8. I hope you will take my case into your consideration.
Directions: This part is to test your ability to do practical writing. You are required to write a Letter of applying for admission to a university in a foreign country to further one’s studies according to the following information. You should not translate the Chinese into English word for word. You should write no less than 80 words on the Composition Sheet.
Oct. 9th, 2004
Dear Sir or Madam:
My name’s He Feng. I graduated in 1998 from Nanjing University majoring in
chemics with a B.S. degree. I got excellent results in all the university.
With a view to get some advanced studies, I am writing to you to apply for admission to your
University to persue my M. S. degree. I am also applying for a scholarship or a teaching assistantship which will enable me to your university sooner.
Enclosed please find letters of recommendation, which, I hope, will meet your satisfaction.
Thanking very much for your consideration and looking forward to your early reply.
1. I am writing to you hoping to study in your university in the fall of 2005.
2. It is my wish to enter your university in the spring of 2005.
3. It is the height of my ambition to further my studies in the field of physics in your university.
4. I hope you will take my case into your consideration.
The Routine Faculty Meeting will be held in the meeting room on September 6 , Friday at 1:30 p.m.
All the teachers are expected to attend the meeting to discuss the teaching plans for the new term.
Head of all sections are requested to meet in the Meeting Hall on Friday at 2:00 p.m.to attend a meeting on the financial program of the company. Each participant should hand in a written proposal.
The Administrative Office
The Students’ Union is organizing an English Party at the coming weekend. All performances will be given by the staff members and the students. Why not come for an exciting evening！
Time：7：30 p.m . , March 12
Place: The Music Hall
1. all are warmly welcome. 热烈欢迎大家参加。
2. we are pleased to inform that …很高兴通知大家。
3. this is to inform\notify that …特此通知。
4. please be informed that ….通知
5. a lecture will be held in \at …(place) on …(date)…将于。。。时间。。。地点 举行会议。
6. all are expected\requested to attend the meeting.希望\要求所有人参加会议。
婚礼请柬(invitation to a wedding)
Mr. and Mrs. John Smith
Request the honor of the presence of
Mr. and Mrs. Brown
at the marriage of their daughter
Mr.John Frederick Hamilton
Saturday ,the twenty-ninth of September
at four o’clock p.m.at Church of Heavenly Rest
舞会请柬 invitation to dance
Dr. And Mrs. Thomas Matthew Benton
Request the pleasure of your company
at a small dance
Thursday, the eighth of November at eight o’clock p.m.
New town Plaza
250 Park Avenue
招待会请柬 invitation to a reception
On the occasion of the tenth anniversary of the founding of Nanjing Technical College
The President,Mr. Li Xinyang
would like to invite Mr.Wang Hong
to a Reception on Friday,July 2,2004
from 7:00 to 8:00 p.m. in Nanjing Hotel
Tel :34756283 ext.238
Mr. Lin Qiang
Director of Qingdao Tourism Administration Office
Request the honor of the presence of
Mr. John Smith
at the opening ceremony of
Qingdao Tourist Festival
Sunday , the 19th of September
At 2:00 p.m.
New century Plaza
1. Request the honor of the presence of…恭候光临
2.Request the pleasure of your company at a small dance敬请光临小型舞会
3.Please reply to …请予赐复
4. On the occasion of the tenth anniversary of… 为庆祝 … 成立十周年
To: Mr.Lee ,leader of the supply section
Subject：Borrow a DVD Player
Dear Sir ,
I’m the secretary of the Marketing Office and we are badly in need of a DVD player in order to have the programs for Christmas Party rehearsed. I hope you will issue one to us as soon as possible.
With kind regards.
To: The leader of student service department
Dear Sir ,
I would like to remind you that we need a telephone for each dormitory. Although most of the
Students have mobile phones， a telephone is still the most convenient tool of communication. I hope you to pay attention to this problem and solve it as soon as possible.
2、寻物启事/失物招领（Lost and Found）
a. 最开始处可有称呼（要顶格写）：如:"Ladies and gentlemen"，"Boys and girls"
b. 要有开头语，如："May I have your attention, please?"，”Attention, please”，
"I have something important to tell you!” “ Please be quiet.”等。
c. 最好要有结束语，如： "That's all. Thank you."
b. 正文表述可采用叙述形式 (如主题、人物、时间、地点)
1、今晚7点开始 2、你在剧院门口等她。 3、坐3路车可直达剧院。